Family to Family Class Starting in February
The Family-to-Family Education Program is a series of 12 weekly classes structured to help caregivers understand and support individuals with serious mental illness, while maintaining their own well-being. The course is taught by a team of trained National Alliance on Mental Illness (NAMI) family member volunteers who know what it’s like to have a loved one struggling with a brain disorder. There is no cost to participate, but registration is required.
Over 200,000 people in North America and Mexico have learned to provide better support and care for family, friends and loved ones suffering with a brain disorder by completing this program.
Please call for more information and to register.
Class Starts: Tuesday, February 10, 2015
First Presbyterian Church of Marietta
189 Church Street
Marietta, GA 30060-1629
Register by contacting an instructor:
Mrs. Neill Blake
For Caregivers only – REGISTRATION REQUIRED by contacting an instructor
or call NAMI Georgia at: 770-234-0855. Classes are limited to 24 persons.
What does the course include?
- Current information about schizophrenia, major depression, bipolar disorder, schizoaffective disorder, panic disorder, anxiety disorder, obsessive-compulsive disorder, borderline personality disorder, & co-occurring brain disorders & addictive disorders
- Up-to-date information about medications, side effects, & strategies for medication adherence
- Current research related to the biology of brain disorders & the evidence-based, most effective treatments to promote recovery
- Gaining empathy by understanding the subjective, lived experience of a person with mental illness
- Learning in special workshops for problem solving, listening, & communication techniques
- Acquiring strategies for handling crises & relapse
- Focusing on care for the caregiver: coping with worry, stress, & emotional overload
- Guidance on locating appropriate supports & services within the community
- Information on advocacy initiatives designed to improve & expand services